Have you ever used the restroom in a public place and found the toilet seat was left up? It’s unsanitary, and unfortunately, it’s all too common.
But what if there was a way to ensure that the toilet seat was already in the proper position every time you used the restroom?
Well, there is—with a self-lifting toilet seat! Here are three reasons why you should consider using one.
What is self lifting toilet seat?
A self-lifting toilet seat is a type of toilet seat that automatically lifts itself when you approach it. This can be a convenient feature if you have your hands full or if you’re otherwise unable to lift the seat yourself.
Some self-lifting seats also have other features, such as a heated seat or a bidet.
Self-lifting toilet seats can be a great addition to any bathroom. They can make it easier to keep the bathroom clean and can also help save you from having to lift the seat yourself.
Advantages and disadvantages of a self-lifting toilet seat
1. They’re more sanitary
Imagine never having to worry about touching a dirty toilet seat again. With a self-lifting toilet seat, you can be sure that the seat will always be clean when you use the restroom.
In fact, many public places are now starting to use self-lifting toilet seats to promote better hygiene.
2. They’re more convenient
Have you ever gone to use the restroom and found that the toilet seat was already in the upright position? With a self-lifting toilet seat, you’ll never have to worry about that happening again.
The seat will always be down when you need it and up when you don’t.
3. They can help save water
Many self-lifting toilet seats have a built-in sensor that automatically flushes the toilet when the seat is lifted.
This means that you’ll never have to worry about forgetting to flush—and it can also help conserve water by preventing accidental double flushing.
There are several disadvantages of a self-lifting toilet seat.
One is that operating can be challenging, especially for those with mobility issues.
Another is that it can be cumbersome and take up extra space. Additionally, it can be easy to forget to lift the seat before using the toilet, which can lead to messes.
Self-lifting toilet seats can be more expensive than traditional toilet seats.
How to install a self-lifting toilet seat?
1. Install the bolts that come with your toilet seat using a wrench.
2. Place the toilet seat on the toilet so that the holes in the seat line up with the bolts on the toilet.
3. Twist the nuts on the bolts until they are tight against the bottom of the toilet seat.
4. Congratulations! You have now installed your new self-lifted toilet seat.
4 Best self-lifting toilet seat
1. Bemis 7YE85310TSS:
New Larger Size Clean Shield 3″ Raised Toilet Seat, Elongated, White.
Bemis is one of the best-selling toilet seats on the market. This new larger, raised toilet seat adds 3 inches of height to your toilet seat, making it easier to sit down and stand up.
The clean shield feature helps prevent the spread of germs. This raised toilet seat is made of durable plastic and is easy to install. It fits most standard elongated toilets.
2. EZ-ACCESS TILT Toilet Incline Lift, Corded Power, Standard Seat:
If you or a loved one are struggling with mobility issues, the EZ-ACCESS TILT Toilet Incline Lift can help make using the restroom a more comfortable experience.
This lift provides a safe and easy way to sit down or stand up from the toilet and can be used with most standard toilets.
The corded power lift mechanism is easy to operate, and the included standard seat is comfortable and durable. With a capacity of 300 pounds, this lift can support those who need it most.
Features and Specifications
- Toilet Lift: This patented aid lifts to your natural body movement, combining the functionality of a heavy duty commode and lift chair for an easy to use lightweight and durable bathroom safety solution
- Easy Install: This lift features a handheld control to make the lifting process convenient for user or caregiver; Installs in less than 15 minutes and attaches directly to bowl for greater stability
- Comfort and Balance: This lift accommodates users ranging from 5’2″ To 6’4″ and bowl heights from 14″ To 21″; Moves the user 7-1/2″ Forward to align shoulders over feet for optimal balance and positioning
- Bathroom Safety Accessories: EZ-ACCESS has simple solutions to make the bathroom safer, along with accessories to make bathing more convenient for individuals with limited mobility and their caregivers
- Note on Returns: Opened hygiene products are nonreturnable; TILT and Bathing Accessories must be in original packaging with no broken seal to return; Please contact our customer service team if you have a problem installing or need parts
- Simple design makes installation easy and hassle-free
- Can be used over a bedside commode for versatility
- Adjustable height makes sitting and transfers easier
- Strong support decreases the risk of falls and boosts confidence
- Enables many users to maintain independence and use the bathroom alone
- Makes standing up easier
- High price makes it less affordable to some
- Lacks a splash guard
- Hard seat is less comfortable than a padded seat
The EZ-Access Tilt Toilet Lift is a technically smart toilet lift that literally adjusts to its user. Bending, standing, and sitting on a toilet that is the wrong size is a potential fall hazard for many seniors. With the use of this toilet lift, seniors and caregivers can adjust the height of the seat for the perfect match every time.
Using a simple remote, you can lift both the seat and the arms of this toilet lift to match the user’s natural body movement and position. The arms will remain at a consistent angle as they raise, giving the user level balance and support and minimizing the chance of a fall.
The handy remote hooks to the side of the toilet for easy access and features a 9-foot coil cord to make it easier for caregivers to operate. While the toilet lift adjusts for height, you can also move 7.5 inches forward as you attach the unit directly to the toilet bowl.
3. Mcombo Electric Toilet Seat Lift with Handles:
Mcombo is another product designed to provide a safe and easy way for those with limited mobility to use the restroom.
The electric seat lift assists in sitting down and standing up, and the built-in handles provide support and stability.
The slow-close feature prevents slamming, and the warm-air dryer eliminates the need for wiping. This product is easy to install and use and comes with a one-year warranty.
4. OasisSpace Stand Alone Raised Toilet Seat 300lbs:
OasisSpace Stand Alone Raised Toilet Seat is easy to install and clean. It can be used on any toilet bowl, including elongated and standard sizes.
The seat is made of heavy-duty molded plastic and has a weight capacity of 300lbs.
The Seat has two handles for easy maneuverability and comes with a lid. It is perfect for the elderly, pregnant women, and those with limited mobility.
This product is easy to install and clean. The seat is comfortable and stable. It will make it easier to use the bathroom and provide support and safety.
What is a Toilet Seat Lift & How is it Helpful?
Accessibility can be a significant issue in those who are aging in place, and accessibility to the use of the toilet is one of those everyday needs. Toilet seat lifts, sometimes called toilet seat risers, are designed to make toilets more accessible to seniors by raising the surface of the seat.
Getting older can mean things like difficulty bending lower, sitting, and standing. Seniors living in their own home can find that the toilet they used to use every day is suddenly too low and is causing them pain. If they continue trying to use their bathroom, they may be putting themselves at risk for falls and slips that can lead to injuries.
Toilet seat lifts come in many different designs. Some attach directly to the top of your toilet at a set height, giving you a few extra inches. Others are more functional and come attached to a frame. These frames are placed over your toilet and are often adjustable in height, allowing you to have a more customizable experience.
Many toilet seat lifts also include handles. Handles are a great feature because they provide older users with extra support and stability. Without the ability to grab onto something, standing and sitting can be tough and dangerous for seniors. Handles give users a firm foundation and the ability to stand and sit without assistance.
Many manufacturers strive to make the installation of a toilet seat hassle-free and straightforward. Complex instructions only cause frustration, and simple assembly lets seniors either install this product on their own or with the help of a caregiver—additionally avoiding paying for a handyman or professional installation.
How do you lift a toilet seat without touching it?
There are a few ways you can do this: use a paper towel or another type of disposable material to lift the seat for you.
Another way is to use a foot pedal, which allows you to open and close the seat without touching it directly.
Some newer toilets have sensors that allow you to raise and lower the seat without touching it! Whatever method you prefer, make sure that you wash your hands thoroughly afterward.
Do they make a self-closing toilet seat?
Yes, there are self-closing toilet seats on the market. One example is the Sanitary Toilet Seat, which features a slow-closing lid and seat to prevent slamming and reduce noise.
This particular model also has an antimicrobial agent that helps protect against bacteria, mold, and mildew.