How Does Black Mold Affect Your Baby? Toilet Bazar

Every parent’s top priority is to make sure their babies are safe in their home. But what do you do if your home turns out to have black mold in it?

Knowing what the signs of black mold are and the terrible effects that black mold can have on your children will allow you to address the issue sooner rather than later.

Although it might not always be possible to visually see where the mold is growing, watching out for signs and symptoms in your children can be your greatest indicator that something in your home is wrong. Anywhere with consistent moisture in your home has the potential to grow mold within just a couple days.

This is why treating water damage in your home as quickly as possible is so important because if not, it can affect your health and your family’s health.

How Does Black Mold Affect My Child’s Health?

Infants, toddlers, really children of any age have developing immune systems. And because of this, they are not able to fight off the bad health effects of mold like an adult would. Although an adult can still get sick from mold exposure, it can be way worse for children who still have many more years of developing.

If your child ever shows the symptoms that come with mold exposure, take it very seriously.

See also  How to Replace a Toilet Wax Ring? - A Detailed Guide

Black mold can also negatively affect adults with weakened immune systems or with a mold allergy. If you have a weakened immune system or have a mold allergy, make sure you are taking extra caution in your home by addressing where you think mold might be the culprit.

Does Your Child Show Signs of an Allergic Reaction?

While symptoms like coughing, runny nose, and sneezing are all signs of an allergic reaction, there are others that your child may develop that can be from black mold in your home.

If your baby has rashes, this could be an indicator that your child has come into contact with mold. Now while your baby can get rashes from other things besides mold, if you suspect that there is mold in your home somewhere, this would be information that you should tell your pediatrician.

Does Your Child Show Signs of a Respiratory Issue?

It’s fairly common for children to develop some kind of respiratory problem if black mold is in the home. Mainly due to water damage, mold can start growing within 48 hours of the water damage being there. The longer the water damage is there, the more mold is able to take advantage of the breeding ground that is there for them.


Bronchitis is when the lining of your bronchial tubes are inflamed. This is what carries air to and from the lungs so bronchitis is a very serious condition, especially in children, and should be treated immediately.


Croup is an infection that takes place in the upper airway. This can be very detrimental to your child. This typically causes a cough that almost sounds like a dog barking. If the case becomes severe, there is a great chance that your child will need hospital care.

See also  Kohler vs American Standard Toilet


This is an infection that inflames air sacs in the lungs. Pneumonia can take place in one lung, or both. This infection can also cause the air sacs in the lungs to fill with fluid. This infection is life-threatening to anyone of any age but can be particularly life threatening to infants and children.

Other Conditions That May Occur

Another condition that may occur if your child is exposed to black mold is digestive tract issues. These include conditions like diarrhea, nausea, and vomiting. Babies or children might often lose their appetite if they’re exposed to mold.

These symptoms can also occur from other things such as eating spoiled food. If you suspect that there is black mold in your home, it is best to have that assessed. More so, have you and your family’s health looked at if anyone starts to show symptoms.

Final Thoughts

In conclusion, if you have recently had water damage to your home, seek professional help immediately. If you suspect that there is water damage in your home that has been there for any amount of time, also seek professional help immediately.

Any area in your home that has been exposed to moisture of any kind is a breeding ground for toxic mold. Your children are especially at risk.

Leave a Comment